Sunday, March 14, 2010

a sense of something far eastern




i had a yoga class this friday morning. when it was done i went home and had sushi for brunch, because D had brought me the best sushi (from miyako in tlv) when he returned home in the wee hours of the morning. he's working late these days. i suspect i will be an (almost) single mom until pesach. important deadlines.

anyway, i had sushi and after that an amazing homemade chai based on this recipe. i used a bit more spices than listed. i don't recommend spicing it up unless you like it sweet like i do.

then i drew a little feather i found on the way home, and i had to decide which of my four japanese masking tapes i wanted to use to place the real feather in my sketch book. you know, important decisions deserves absolute devotion, so i took the necessary time. sometimes it's ok, even good, to just focus on the - seemingly - irrelevant things, right?

i am currently in the middle section of elizabeth gilbert's eat, pray, love. this part is set in an ashram in india. i have been carrying a lot of thoughts around from that book, and since the landscape around me is full of trees dressed in pastel color blossoms, i sensed an eastern theme to this day. not bad at all...

------------------------------

my dad is leaving in a couple of days. i will need to practice some breathing, so i can stay zen-like cool and calm in the coming kind-of-single parent weeks. om and out from here - wishing you a calm and sensible week.

21 comments:

  1. the first photo is so lovely. and i really like your feather drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that first shot is AMAZING!! LOVE it!

    So in the recipe, what kind of tea leaves do you use? It sounds like a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. stay strong and practice your deep breathing while D is working late! whenever i'm the sole caregiver in those situations it brings me to my knees - i don't know how single parents do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Om... I think you are in the right direction. I love sketching feathers too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep breathing and you´ll be fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very beautiful photos!
    you are so skilled, that feather looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved everything about this post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, darn it. I lost my original comment because I clicked on your header before it was fully submitted. *facepalm!*

    From what I remember, I said that a) your photos are peaceful, b) I like the feather drawing, and c) I adore that masking tape.

    Have a grand week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. feather light . tea light ..stunning to see

    ReplyDelete
  10. Choosing the best tape with the right "feel" is not irrelevant. It's paying attention to details and loving the process that makes you a sensitive (and amazing) artist.

    Happy new week Trinsch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, you make such beautiful drawings! goodluck with the goodbye. and being home alone alot. im sure it is a challenge with the children and all.
    i enjoyed the last post, with the beer moment so much, like a slogan, maybe you can sell it do goldstar :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so weird. i have such mixed feelings about eat, pray, love. when i first read it (at the beginning of 2008), i loved it so much, i immediately read it again. it was exactly what i needed at that moment. but i tried to read it again in the past few months and found it so self-absorbed and empty. but i'll admit that on all of the readings, the india part was my least favorite. mostly because she was totally insulated from the real india, which is overwhelming. she might as well have been in upstate new york. that aside, there are things in there that definitely speak to you and i can understand exactly what you mean about carrying thoughts around.

    i love your washi tape. :-) but you knew that, since i already said so on flickr.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the peaceful rendition of your days, the yoga, sushi, tea, and sketching, almost a scene out of Eat, Pray, Love. Sorry your dad is leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the drawing of a feather. I am so curious about Eat,Pray,Love -- what people think. I have been working on a book with somewhat similar themes, the fact that this book has been such a hit makes me wonder if what I write about will be of any remote interest to anyone. There. I've said more about it to you than anyone but my husband. Kinda been feeling like it's time for some feedback, I guess. :) Good luck transitioning to sans Dad's help. xxooT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have been goiung through your previous posts as well - your photos are so exquisite - I love the teacup with the garland reflected in it! PS Did you make the collage with the music sheet trees? It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this first photo is amazing!!!!
    Wishing you "bon courage" for the next weeks!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post, from the title all the way to the om. I think your sense of humor, your ability to see beyond the contingencies - and sushi:) - will help you in your kind of single parent weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. always love to read your posts Trinch, it would be nice to have tea ceremony with you and talk about feaders&blossoms and japanese masking tapes, beautiful photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are one talented lady. I love seeing what you draw and create.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a nice blog! I just surfed here from my blog, Gertrude, and was impressed. Sorry you're stuck being a single parent in a foreign country for awhile-hope it gets back the way you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i LOVE "Eat.Pray.Love" and now i've got the sequel - "Committed". enjoy, the book totally creates a special atmosphere...

    ReplyDelete