Friday, July 31, 2009

the tasty secret


watermelon with feta cheese. this unusual combination was entirely new to me when i came to israel 7 years ago. as most other fruits and vegetables in israel, watermelon is a seasonal thing. it is a summer thing. in fact watermelon is summer around here.

the beach cafes and restaurants will usually serve it in slices with feta cheese on the side. and that's how i tasted it first. that is, after i had debated with d for a while that it was the most bizarre combination. i mean, fresh and sweet watermelon with salty and creamy feta...?! anyway, i could have saved my energy and just tasted the darn thing. then i would have known from the beginning, that it is such a perfect combination. and that it actually makes absolutely sense.

-----------------------

i googled it before posting and i think it's safe to say that it's not really a secret. in fact there are plenty of recipes out there with watermelon and feta as main ingredients. but for me it was absolutely new. and i have noticed that that is the case for many foreigners visiting israel, so maybe i will actually surprise a few of you out there.

but - tadaaa - i have my own version of this salad: cut both feta and watermelon into cubes, add roasted pine nuts and some fresh mint leaves and you have a totally yummy, fresh summer salad that takes you pretty much 5 minutes to make. (and it even looks really good, right?)

13 comments:

  1. ok, I'm doing this for tonight's dinner. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all over this! Looks amazing!! Great pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have known that combination for some years actually ... and yes, it is so delicious, and perfect for hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems like a recipe just for me; I love both feta and watermelon!! Mmmm... I'll definitely try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooooh... I'm intrigued now. I have feta at home, will have to pop round the shops to get me some watermelon! :) (And, while I'm at it, some melon for Jane's "melonacho" too.)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a perfect lunch today. Thanks. Have a golden weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, watermelon with feta cheese sounds delicious! Watermelon is not my favorite but these look so amazing and I would love to try it!!

    Have a great weekend! ox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt just like you the first time I saw it. And ended up loving it as well :-) Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how delicious! i think i'm going to try the trinsch version :)

    a bit tricky to get good feta cheese here, but i'll check out the greek and turkish delis next week, they should have a fair choice...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried the two together, but I bet it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will try your version soon, it looks so delicious ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have both ingredients in my fridge, I have to try this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post brought tears to my eyes. My Greek grandmother, Yiyia, used to love to eat this. I was with her when she passed away over ten years ago, but this was one of her favorite snacks. Thanks for such a sweet reminder of her!

    ReplyDelete